Negro Mountain History

Source: Western Maryland Regional Library -

Western Maryland’s Historical Library: Negro Mountain

The most commonly accepted historical account as to how Negro Mountain received its name can be traced to the 1750s. Colonel Thomas Cresap and his black body-servant, “Nemesis,” were tracking a group of American Indians who some say had attacked a settlement near present-day Oldtown in Allegany County. It was said a family had been murdered and horses stolen. Others write Nemesis was requested to accompany a ranging party that regularly scouted the frontier in order to protect homes from attack. Either way, Nemesis had a premonition he would not return.

One evening while cleaning his weapon, Nemesis told Cresap that he would not be coming back. Cresap thought Nemesis was afraid, or going to runaway. He “jestingly” offered Nemesis the opportunity to remain behind with the women if he was afraid. Nemesis replied he was not scared, but simply stating a fact. Cresap’s party pursued the Indians over present-day Savage and Meadow Mountains, to the next mountain where a fierce battle ensured. Nemesis fought bravely, was killed, and buried on the site.

Cresap named the mountain in honor of Nemesis’ race and it has ever since been known as “Negro Mountain.” Nemesis was said to have been a large and powerfully built man. “Negro Mountain” remains a memorial and historic tribute to the presence of this black frontiersman.

Based upon research undertaken by historian Francis Zumbrun, a letter sent to the Maryland Gazette in 1756 by Thomas Cresap explains the naming of the mountain. It states that it was a free black man who had accompanied his volunteer rangers during the French and Indian War and who had died heroically in the battle while saving Cresap’s life. Zumbrun, a retired forester for the Maryland Department of Natural Resources and local historian, also notes that the mountain is named in honor of one of the earliest “free” black frontiersman on record in American colonial history.

Continue reading “Negro Mountain” at Western Maryland’s Historical Library.

* * *

Photo by By J. J. Prats, August 11, 2006

Negro Mountain: The Highest Point on the National Road

“…The Naming of Negro Mountain. Nemesis, a black frontiersman, was killed here while fighting Indians with Maryland frontiersman Thomas Cresap in the 1750s. Legend tells us that he had a premonition of his death. In his honor, they named this mountain after him.”

Continue reading “Negro Mountain: The Highest Point on the National Road” at The Historical Marker Database.

* * *

View west from Negro Mountain highpoint. (Photo credit: Negro Mountain

In July 2007, Pennsylvania State Representative Rosita C. Youngblood (Democrat of Philadelphia’s 198th District) called for the renaming of Negro Mountain. In a news release, she said, “Through a school project, my son and granddaughter first informed me of the name of this range and I found it to be disparaging that we have one of our great works of nature named as such… I find it disheartening for tourists who visit this range to see the plaque with the name Negro Mountain displayed on the mountainside.” However, Professor Christopher Bracey, a law professor and associate professor of African and African-American studies at Washington University in St. Louis has said, “I must confess I have a slightly different take on it than [Youngblood]… Here we have a mountain, whose name was intended to be a testament to Negro bravery. It seems rather crass and unsophisticated to name it Negro Mountain, but the intentions were strong.”[5][6] On 1 August 2007, Youngblood and other lawmakers introduced House Resolution No. 378 [7] resolving that the governor “form a commission …to study the naming of Negro Mountain and Mount Davis …[to] adopt names that accurately reflect the history of the region and the heroism displayed by the African American in the Negro Mountain conflict of 1756” and accordingly to alter “brochures, plaques and signs [to] accurately reflect the facts of this heroic historical event”.

Continue reading “Negro Mountain” at

This entry was posted in Black History, Roadside Attractions, Urban Legends. Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to Negro Mountain History

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Negro Mountain History | Baltimore Or Less --

2. michael miller El says:

It should be changed to Moorish Mountain because this isone of the Moorish empires in which the invaders have hid this Truth that will come out with dire consequences on the concealers as written in Isaiah 65:15-16 ,remember the battle of lake Erie . We Moors not slave labeled Negro , black , colored ,African.

3. davidbrown says:

Ithink it should keep its name tohonor, t,hme black men who gave lives,,, please find somethingelse that need more attention ,,than removeing the name of avery famous place ihave been there ,its beautiful please dont disturb. … my kids andgrand kids learn alot 2days we spent there more than what they taught them in school there’s a lot of black kids and adults that this exist

4. deb woodley says:

I doubt that the man being honored thought of himself as a Moor, lol, so that bit of revisionism is kinda silly. Negro was considered the proper, respectful way to refer to African Americans, or whatever they are being called since breakfast… I mean, what are you gonna do, change the name every time society decides to change the language? Get a grip. People CAN deal with things like this, lol!!! When did our society become such a nation of wussies?

• Real Hebrew says:

@Deb Woodley

What you failed to grasp is the Negroes true history and heritage was taken away from during slavery

Deuteronomy 28:68 And the LORD shall bring thee into Egypt again with ships, by the way whereof I spake unto thee, Thou shalt see it no more again: and there ye shall be sold unto your enemies for bondmen and bondwomen, and no man shall buy you.

Deuteronomy 28:48 Therefore shalt thou serve thine enemies which the LORD shall send against thee, in hunger, and in thirst, and in nakedness, and in want of all things: and he shall put a yoke of iron upon thy neck, until he have destroyed thee.

No other race of people fit these curses….

These curses were to happen to the true children of Israel or Israelites who are also known as Moors during the Dark Ages. So in response to your statement our names where changed to negro by the slavemasters (whites) when we got off those slave ships; how convient wouldn’t you say?

• Mike says:

I’m black and I agree with you, I’m proud to be black and however it’s define

5. Leroy says:

Haha He said Negro

6. little blue says:

I guess if you complain enough, you can remove even history. The mountain was named in great honor, not just for the man, but, his whole race. This country is sinking lower and lower every day. Obama offends loads of people,but, he’s still here, unfortunately.

• Memah says:

The white american society has been offending races for years. Thats no secret. Ive never been anywhere in the world that describes a street or any other label as ” cracker valley, Caucasian mountain, or white trash street….not to be offensive but it sounds stupid. If they were representing him why didn’t they just name the mountain “Neimises Mountain” then tell us his story. Im tired of all the names whites give other races, maybe its time to give back the lands to the people they belong to.

• S says:

Without disputing the point of your comment – I would like to point out that there actually IS a mountain range named “Caucasian Mountains”

• Delbert says:

I’m Indian when are e you leaving

7. Jeff Carroll says:

I feel the name pays tribute to the black pioneers who fought along side Nemesis. So I say leave the name and teach the history. Then read my book It Happened on Negro Mountain.

8. Thanks for the heads up on your novel, I’ll check it out.

9. Jack says:

I came across the name of the mountain about 10 years ago. It was puzzling to me, at the very least put a medal history sign stating why, when and how about the name. History does not mean anything if it is not explain. Put the sign up or change the name to the man’s name. Use some common sense.

10. Sam says:

How about African-American Mountain?

11. Maurice says:

Come on, people! It wouldn’t be offensive if you explain WHY it was named so. How hard is it to actually give some history? Sheesh!

12. HFM says:

I live here, change the name and I’ll put the sign back up every night, it is a memorial, and history, get over it!

13. Thrasher says:

Saw it driving to KY and was curious about the name

14. Bridgette M. Brinson says:

It says it was named after Nemesis so do it. So it called negro mountain because he was considered a Negro????
    In 1700’s were we even called Negros???

15. Lona says:

Oh my do people not have nothing left to do but argue, back then is just the way of life, I think the black race has accomplished alot, who is president, Barack Obama, an I think myself is a great man, with what he had to work with, an think of what women went through didn’t we have to fight to vote? I could have swore men treated white women like dogs back then an still do, so there is no race no different, we are all either man or woman, that’s it, an The rest needs to be left alone. I don’t care what color you are we are all brothers an sisters, who need to wake up an stop all the crazyness for one day you will be judged

16. Rick says:

I live about 40 miles north of this mountain range. Up until now I never knew the story of the naming of the mountain. I have read the comments that people have posted and as expected there are pros and cons of the name. However, if everyone actually would read the story of the naming of this mountain they would see this was named in honor of the race of Nemesis and there was no such word as “African American” in 1756. Who knows, 100 years from now, African American may be considered derogatory. Anyway, this is the 21st century, when will everyone be considered people and not segregated separately by race?

17. Bobby says:

What people are not understanding is the fact that black people in this time couldn’t own property or have anything in their name. They had to have a white guardian to own anything. I’m sure it would have been named Nemesis Mountain if the law would have allowed it at the time. With that said, because we don’t live in the 18th century anymore, the name should reflect his name, not his race. He was a man fighting for his fellow man.