Glenn L. Martin Aircraft Factory Disappears During WWII — From The Air

By Rick Beyer, from his WWII documentary “The Ghost Army”

Under the watch of the 603rd Camouflage Engineer Battalion, not yet assigned to the Ghost Army, an entire aircraft factory disappeared from the coast of Maryland – at least, from the air.

…The Glenn L. Martin aircraft factory in Middle River, Maryland was one such location. The factory churned out bombers (the most famous being the B-26 Marauder) and attack aircraft for Allied forces. In 1942, the 603rd Camouflage Engineer Battalion helped make the factory disappear. Veteran Ned Harris of the 603rd worked on the plant, noting “Our outfit was responsible for disguising that …from the air, it looked like it was the countryside.” Below are some images of their work.

Continue reading “Glenn L. Martin Aircraft Factory Disappears During WWII — From The Air” at The Ghost Army.

This entry was posted in 1940s, Essex / Middle River, Uncategorized and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Glenn L. Martin Aircraft Factory Disappears During WWII — From The Air

1. Jim Muller says:

I think my original post went awry. If not, excuse this duplicate. I lived in Middle River near Martin’s 1941-50; saw it when both it and I were fresh and bright. I am interested in any pix or links to old Middle River village, construction of Martin’s Blvd., the plant(s), their early camouflage treatments, war worker housing in Aero Acres, Victory Villa, Victory Villa Annex, Orems Rd. Trailer Park, etc..

2. William J. Nemeth, Jr. says:

I am trying to find anyone out there that has connections with the Martin Aircraft Factory in Baltimore, Md. My father, William J. Nemeth, Sr. was a draftsman there before World War II and was a member of the Maryland National Guard.

3. Gaia says:

Hi Jim, I think I have an old picture from the paper of my Mother hanging out clothes at Victory Villa around 1941. I haven’t scanned it yet, but I’ll see if I can find it. My family moved to Middle River from far SW Virginia right around 1940-41, like so many. Do you still live in the area?

4. Gordon T Carey says:

Gordon’s parents, Paul & Pearl Cary, worked at Glen L Martin plant during WWII era. Moved from farm in NC when Gordon 7. Gordon was member of the Maryland National Guard, Cadet Captain, Maryland Civil Air Patrol (Glen L Martin unit).
    He lived in Aero Acres & Middle River at 1 Wilbur Rd. Delivered papers to Mars Estates Apartments as young boy. In Boy Scouts (Glen L Martin). Worked at 16 one summer in drafting department at Glen L Martin.
    Has many stories– camouflaged GL Martin plant, watching testing planes & many went into river/bay, watching for enemy aircraft, night blackouts, German subs, etc.

5. LEIGH HOOVER says:

i lived in Middle River in 1944 and 45. My parents owned a restaurant outside of the camp where soldiers, sailors, Free French, RAF and our own men were stationed to learn the bombers Martin built. it was named Victory Inn and was right outside that camp. many ate in there and my parents received many letters after the war thanking
    them for things they did for them
    I met my husband there also. He was a sailor and after the war he came back and worked for the company. now called Martin-Marietta. we were transferred to Florida in 1963 where we lived until now.i would be happy to hear from anyone who remembers. leighhoover2@gmail.com My husband was HERBERT L. HOOVER i am his widow now.

6. My great-uncle & godfather was Alphonse (“Al”) C. Hild, who worked at GLM in the Engineering Dept. He was one of the German engineers who was enticed to leave Germany in the early-1930’s to work at Curtiss-Wright in Buffalo, NY. He married my Mom’s aunt, Mildred, in the 1930’s in Buffalo, and then they moved to Baltimore. She worked at Bendix there. He retired in the late-1960’s, and she was able to get a transfer to Pompano Beach, FL, where they lived until their deaths in 1979 (Al) and 1996 (Mildred). Somewhere we have a photo of Uncle Al posing with other GLM engineers in front of a Martin Mars. I believe it’s a Mars, because it’s a big plane with water-landing gear. He was also involved with the early development of the ejection seat at Martin. I became an engineer because of him.

7. LEIGH ELLEN HOOVER says:

i also would like to write to anyone connected with the plant, my folks had a restaurant outside the camp. it was called Victory Inn at one point, at another ,Kenwill Inn. It may still be there. I was a teenager then working in the place
    along with my sister We were Lee and Carol and loved flirting with all the guys who ate here. In fact I married one. There were sailors, soldiers, Marines, RAF, Free French and many others. At one time the Salvation Army had a few of their people upstairs. They were grand old times. I am now 90 years old and live in Florida where my husband was transferred by Martin in 1963. We had two sons when we came and another born in Florida PLease write to me and I will write back.We were there from about 1941 to 1945 my husband was Herbert L. Hoover AND he worked on planes there including the Mars

8. leigh hoover says:

i have a new email it is libragoof@gmail.com i guess many people whom i knew are dead by now. As I said I am old. On ct 4 i will be 91. would sure like to hear from some

9. leigh hoover says:

M y husband, Herb Hoover worked on the Mars maybe they knew each other. leigh hoover

10. David J Jackson says:

My grandmother Mildred Coltrane Jackson worked there Deering World War 2 as a Riveter on the wings of B-29 bombers. She is not well but she is still alive almost 92 years old now and had very fond memories of working there

11. Sherry Long says:

Hello,
    My mom and her sister worked for Glenn L Martin Last names were Massey.
    Willie Massey and Sylvia Effonbee Massey. My mom Willie welded wings on the fighter planes. What airplanes did you have there that she would have worked on?
    My moms sister did some office work & was in beauty pageant, she had told me Mr. Martin favored her. My mom welded and I was hoping I could find some pictures of her and the aircraft they worked on there. My mom will be 99 years old in August 2017 and she was born in 1918 and told me she worked there and it was for WWII. I want to get info for her as a Rosie the Riveter.

12. John Houston says:

My dad worked for GL Martin during WWII and if memory serves it was at a Baltimore City plant on Sinclair Lane (N of North Ave & W of Bel Air Rd). However the only info I can find OL re GLM is re the Middle River complex. Any info welcome

13. LEIGH HOOVER says:

I HAVE AN OLD DISCONTINUED EMAIL ADDRESS WITH MY POSTINGS. I AM NOW LEIGHHOOVER2@GMAIL.COM
    I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR FROM ANYONE WHO EVER WAS STATIONED AT THE GLEN L MARTIN CAMP IN 1945. WAS JUST 92 BUT MY MEMORIES OF THE PLACE ARE STILL VIVID. I AM A WIDOW AND LIVE IN FLORIDA. HAVE 3 SONS AND MOST OF MY FRIENDS AND RELATIVES ARE GONE, I WOULD GIVE ANYTHING TO HAVE A PIX OF VICTORY INN OR THE CAMP. AT ONE TIME BRIEFLY I LIVED IN VICTORY VILLA ALSO. PLEASE WRITE TO ME ASAP.