Best Reason Not to Watch WJZ-TV News: Marty Bass

Best Reason Not to Watch WJZ-TV: Marty Bass
(Baltimore City Paper, 1996 “Best of Baltimore” issue, 9/18/1996)

There are so many reasons it’s hard to pick just one. There’s the phony Sally Thorner, the grating Richard Sher, the faux-ditzy Denise Koch, the genuinely ditzy Stan Saunders, the plastic Kai Jackson, and the evil station management that allows these clowns to pass as journalists and shamelessly frees up news time to plug other WJZ programs. As bad as all that is, though, it pales in comparison to Marty Bass. No one else on local TV, or perhaps on the planet, is so unabashedly pleased with himself, and for no good reason. His loud and rambling weather reports serve only as vehicles to hog airtime, and afterward you don’t have a clue whether to take the umbrella or leave it home. Plus his hyper, “Look at me! Look at me!” performances on WJZ’s morning programs are a daily embarrassment (or oughta be) to the station and to Bass’ coanchor, the sedate Don Scott. At least the plug has been pulled on the nightly newscast’s inane “Mondo Basso” segments, which were anything but mondo and were full of Bass mugging for the camera. After two decades at WJZ, it doesn’t look as if Bass will be heading back to his native Texas any time soon, but we can always hope.

Tags: , , ,
This entry was posted in 1990s, Baltimorons, Marty Bass, Television and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Best Reason Not to Watch WJZ-TV News: Marty Bass

1. Don Whomsley says:

I agree 100% !
    When I first tuned in over 20 years ago, he had his feet up on the desk. the bottom of his boots filled the screen. What an arrogant ass I thought. Never liked him from that moment on. Always flip the channel to watch the weather.

2. Marty drives BML’s Tom Warner crazy, but I love Marty, I think he’s a Baltimore treasure and he’s earned his wings as a true Baltimoron. He offered to buy Tom a beer but Tom has yet to accept!

3. i know where double dutch started and how it got its name phone nuber on your anser masine

4. I am one of thousands out of work i have been looking long and hard

5. nevermind says:

you all did realize this is satire?

6. Lisa says:

I love Marty and Don. Kai has the cutest eyebrows. Mary Bubala is so pretty. Denise is an icon. Poor Derrick is always in the rain. The blonde chick that does the weather needs to lay off the ash, her hair looks green, and it is not my tv. Jessica is the sweetest thing. I watch every morning and night. I feel like they are part of my family. And, yes, I do have a life.

7. Dr. Elbert V. Coulson says:

I did some shows with Don Scott and Marty Bass in Baltimore and others around 1979 – 1980′s Era. We all had on the same color jackets during the filming. I had a copy of the shows on tape, but lost them. If anyone can obtain copies of the shows I did on T.V. on Channel 2, 11, and 13.it would be appreciate. There is a reward provided by me for their efforts in getting me copies of the T.V Shows I did on all three Channels 2,11 and 13 in Baltimore. Or any of the shows I did. Sincerely, I am Elbert V. Coulson.

8. P faust says:

The morning show would be much better if Marty Bass would do the interviews and stop making everything about him.It is very annoying!!!

9. disgusted says:

Marty “the ass” Bass should have been fired a long time ago. The problem is there
    are no real serious weather forcasters on any of Baltimore’s three major stations for
    the noon news. Nothing but cutsie, “tits and ass” bimbos that station managers hire.
    Give me a BREAK! How blatantly sexist can you get!!

10. Ward Wensch says:

I have been watching WJZ-TV since moving to Baltimore in 1977 and have been a loyal watcher ever since. Sure, at first I watched the news programs on the other channels, but gravitated to WJZ and stayed there. WJZ News has been a part of my family for 37 years. Some of WJZ’s watchers really do like the Eye Witness News gang. If I’m home at meal time, the TV is tuned to WJZ-TV Eye Witness News, Channel 13.

11. I’m a WJZ loyalist since I was a kid in the 70s with Jerry Turner and Al Sanders. I watch Channel 45 at ten then switch to Channel 13 at 11pm.