Internet directed prank damages Aberdeen hotel

Guest was enticed to activate sprinkler system by website, fire officials say

By Kayla Bawroski (Explore Harford / Aegis, 3/23/2012)

The Maryland State Fire Marshal's Office says an apparent Internet directed prank caused a guest at the Holiday Inn Express in Aberdeen to activate the hotel's fire sprinkler system early Friday morning, causing an estimated $100,000 in water damage to at least eight rooms. (Ted Hendricks, Aegis))

A bizarre Internet directed prank caused extensive damage to an Aberdeen hotel early Friday morning, the Maryland State Fire Marshal’s Office said.

According to a notice of investigation from the fire marshal’s office, a guest at the Holiday Inn Express in the 1000 block of Beards Hill Road was contacted by a website “and was told a gas leak had occurred in the hotel and was subsequently coaxed into breaking off the hotel room sprinkler heard with the toilet bowl cover, causing water to flow into eight rooms and the floor below.”

Continue reading “Internet directed prank damages Aberdeen hotel” at Explore Harford.

This entry was posted in Baltimorons, Pranks and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.